Monday, December 15, 2008

#15 Library 2.0

The 3 Icebergs article got my attention. The "just in case" collection portion was interesting. I still can't imagine libraries without stacks and being able to just wander the stacks. It is a pleasure not a chore. I think this also points out the change in our society. The "I want it all and I want it now" idea. The"reliance on user education" was very much to the point. If the search for the greater and greater amounts of information we must sort through is to be managed, then we must adapt. The one button flicker example was so very accurrate. I a point and click sort of person and if getting the information I need gets too difficult, I get frustrated. Finally, the"come to us" model of library services makes sense. You can download anything from GPS to the weather on your phone so it seems this is what people want more and more. To survive you have to give people what they want.

I also wanted to comment on the article "To a tempory place in time ...". I loved the comparisons of Library 1.0, Library 2.0, Library 3.0 and Library 4.0. To be forward and future looking is to stay relevant as an institution.

More tech ... less stoneage.

No comments: